[syslinux] menu.c32 - Return from sub-menu

Lentz, Tim Tim_Lentz at maxtor.com
Wed Dec 14 20:09:29 PST 2005

I am new to SYSLINUX/PXELINUX and it is great! Thanks!

Looking around the archives for uses/examples for the simple menu
(menu.c32) for our implementation (DOS boot with networking support for
various NICs), and it occurred to me that I might want to go back to the
main menu if I ended up in the wrong sub-menu. Also would be useful if
one needed to create multiple levels of menus and wanted to step back up
a level, or back to the top level.

Maybe I missed this in another post, and likely someone has already done
it. But just in case this could help someone else:

So in .\pxelinux.cfg\default pretty standard:

Default menu.c32
prompt 0
TIMEOUT 0
ALLOWOPTIONS 0
NOESCAPE 1

MENU TITLE FaSTLab Boot - NIC Selection

Label intel
    MENU LABEL [^I] Intel NICs
    kernel menu.c32
    append intel_menu.conf

Label 3com
    MENU LABEL [^3] 3COM NICs
    kernel menu.c32
    append 3com_menu.conf

Now copy that same default file from the pxelinux.cfg folder to the same
level as pxelinux.0 .

In the sub-menu file (.\intel_menu.conf) the Back to Main label is a
simple call of menu.c32 using the default menu again:

ALLOWOPTIONS 0
NOESCAPE 1
MENU TITLE FaSTLab Boot - Intel NICs

Label intel100
    MENU LABEL [^1] Intel 100
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=intel100.img

Label intel1000
    MENU LABEL [^2] Intel 1000 (really the 100)
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=intel100.img

Label main
    MENU LABEL [^B] Back to Main Menu