[syslinux] No dos compatibility mode?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:02:20 PST 2005

On 12/19/05, outp0st <outp0st at op.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I managed to boot diskless windows 98 clients using memdisk with etherboot and PXE
> hdd images. Unfortunately, I need my clients to run games and many
> refuse to work properly when windows is in do compatibility mode(e.g..
> fifa 2005 and daemon tools for mounting cd images). Is there a way to
> to "make" windows 98 not use the compatibility mode ? I even searched
> for a commercial solution, but all seemed to work only on win 200/xp
> clients...(except for 3com's lan driver which is 100 % windows server
> based:( )
>

> Best regards,
>
> outp0st

Not quite sure why this is a syslinux issue since you have no troubles
with the syslinux part, right?  Well, anyway, can you be more specific
about what you mean by compatibility mode?  It really sounds like
you're referring to the compatibility mode that Windows 2K and XP
provide, which is compatibility with things that require 9x versions
of Windows.  However, Windows 9x doesn't need any kind of special
compatibility mode to make it compatible with Windows 9x...  I'm
running a Win98SE system for a HTPC/retrogaming system, and it works
great with Daemon Tools and basically every game I have that can run
on a system with a mere P3-500 and a RivaTNT.