[syslinux] problem with PXElinux and security of local LAN - readonly double boot idea

Richard L. James richard_l_james at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 10:14:00 PST 2005

Hi,

Firstly rather than a harddisk why not boot from a
read-only USB key or even read-only CD-ROM drive?
Some USB keys come with a hardware write protect
switch.  You could locate the USB key inside the PC
itself.  If being truely paranoid superglue works
wonders to ensure things stay write protected or in
place, e.g. when 100% happy with the boot just glue
the USB protect tab to lock or in the case of a
CD-drive glue over the eject button etc.

I believe the following might help solve part of this
problem:

I once worked on how to capture a PC's original
interrupt table without an operating system loaded,
e.g. where to save the data and how?-with no Operating
System API etc!  The solution I came up with was to
have a small boot program which did the following:

1) Copy the interrupt vector table to a safe unused
memory space
2) Set a flag / pointer in the BDA (BIOS Data Area) to
the area
3) Performed a INT 19h (bootstrap loader) to load an
O/S, e.g DOS

Thus the original interrupt vector table could be
recovered from DOS.  This worked for what I needed it
for.  To make it fully water tight my thinking was to
fake a BIOS header (55AA,ROMSIZE, ROM CRC values etc
thus CRCing the data), so that DOS/Windows etc
wouldn't overwrite my "ROM" - I never implemented this
bit.

My thinking with regards to your problem is that you
could use a similar technique with a local bootable
readonly device (e.g CD) but temporary store the
selected menu option in the PC's own RAM, e.g. in the
Intra-applications communications area of the BDA
(BIOS Data Area) -
http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/bda.htm

and then perform a second boot by way of an INTerrupt
19h.
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/rbinter/id/79/22.html

into an OS from which you then recover the option
selected.  Of course if we were being really sneaky we
could poke values into BIOS's keyboard buffer to auto
select which option we wanted ;-)

Note: I have to confess that I haven't used PXElinux
yet but I will and I have read most of the specs.  I
also have to confess that I'm really tired and not
very good at explaining ideas.... !

Still I'm sure someone on here will be on a similar
wavelength.

Regards

Richard L. James

=== message truncated ===