[syslinux] problem with PXElinux and security of local LAN - readonly double boot idea

Jason Keltz jas at cs.yorku.ca
Wed Dec 21 06:14:17 PST 2005

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Jason Keltz wrote:
>
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Is there absolutely no way through comboot to query the DHCP server
>> (or some other server like a web server) for a simple value through
>> sys/extlinux is there?  This would just be very ideal.
>
> Sure, you can talk directly to the PXE stack, and send and receive UDP
> traffic just fine.  You can also examine the DHCP packet.
>
> However, you have to make sure the enire path up to that point is
> enforced, or they can just boot something else.

Is there any possible way you could give me much more detail on doing
this?    How difficult is this task?  I would like to do something like
boot a local copy of extlinux that runs a modified menu.c32 that gets an
ip via DHCP, polls the DHCP server for an option, and based on the value
of that option, I would boot.  I basically understand the code for
menu.c32, and chain.c32, but I don't know how to handle the bios/dhcp stuff.

jas.