[syslinux] isolinux.cfg location?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 22:21:50 PST 2005

On 12/22/05, Nicolas Bigaouette <coagulateur at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  On isolinux's  website, it is stated that: "NOTE: ISOLINUX will search for the config file directory in the order /boot/isolinux, /isolinux, /.  The first directory that exists is used, even if it contains no files.  Therefore, please make sure that these directories don't exist if you don't want ISOLINUX to use them."
>
>  Why this limitation is present?? I'm trying to put multiple live cds (damn small linux and insert) on a single one. Those live cds depends on isolinux to boot, but I can't tell isolinux to load different configuration files.
>
>  Thank you

I think the issue is as simple as that it gets more complicated to add
all the checking that would be necessary to figure out which to use.
That part of isolinux has to be pretty tiny from what I understand.

If you're going to combine multiple bootable discs into one, what you
need to do is create one single configuration rather than having
multiple configurations.  In other words, basically just combine the
multiple isolinux.cfg files into the one.  Usually you can just copy
and paste the label, kernel, and append lines from one directly to the
other, then create some basic settings like which to boot by default.