[syslinux] 64/32 auto select

Velu Erwan erwan at seanodes.com
Wed Dec 28 00:34:41 PST 2005

Jun OKAJIMA a écrit :

>One idea - how about making ISOLINUX swichable between IA32 and AMD64 automatically?
>
>A sample config is like this.
>Under ISOLINUX.CFG:
>   label default
>   arch=IA32:
>      kernel=vmlinuz.32 initrd=image32.gz
>   arch=AMD64:
>      kernel=vmlinuz.64 initrd=image64.gz
>
>What is the merit?:
>You can use same CD for both IA32 PC and AMD64 PC.

You can use a x86 kernel on a x86_64 architecture (but you will not use
it with its full capabilities) but you can't use a x86_64 kernel on a
x86 system.
It could make senses to use a "ARCH" flag somewhere in syslinux.
We can try to find the "lm (long mode)" flags on the cpu capabilities
for checking if it's a x86_64 capable system and then decide which
configuration files you needs to downloads or using an "arch=" option as
Jun Okajima suggest.
H. Peter Anvin ? Does it make sense for you ?