[syslinux] Re: PXE-on-a-disk Intel EM64T reboot

Josh Lehan jlehan at scyld.com
Fri Dec 30 19:54:44 PST 2005

Steven wrote:
> Hi Josh:
> There is a similar one in
> http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=190646
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80408
> I tried it compiled it in etherboot 5.4.0 and 5.4.1, and it works.
> Could you please tell me what's the difference between yours and that one ?
> Thanks in advance.

Thanks for telling me about these!  I didn't know about them.

Taking a quick look, it seems that they all try to accomplish the same
thing, with a few variations.  A goal of mine was to make something that
was as "lean and mean" as possible, and easily reproducable.  It's a
very thin layer over SYSLINUX and Etherboot.

That makes 4 variations of "PXE-on-a-disk" that I know of: mine, the 2
you mentioned, and etherboot.anadex.de.  Interesting.  I wonder what the
strengths/weaknesses of each one are?

Josh Lehan
jlehan at scyld.com