[syslinux] isolinux.cfg location?

Andrey Vul andrey.vul at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 22:25:30 PST 2005

Nazo wrote:
| On 12/30/05, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul at gmail.com> wrote:
|
| what i did is:
| a) reassemble isolinux.asm and change isoliux_dir constant from isolinux
| to mod123. after compiling i opened isolinux.bin with a hexeditor and
| did an ascii search for mod123and replaced it with whatever
| b) ascii search in hexeditor for isolinux (press f3 or Ctrl+G or
| whatever until you get to ?/boot/isolinux? ? is unknown hex character)
| and replace with whatever
| so the result is this:
| /
| /boot/whatever_1 <- item 1 menu
| /boot/whatever_2 <- item 2 menu
| /boot/whatever_N <- item 3 menu
| /boot/isolinux <- multi menu
|
| and the sweet part is that just add this line:
| label return
| kernel /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
| to return to main menu
|
| tried and true
|
| H. Peter Anvin wrote:
| | Nicolas Bigaouette wrote:
| |
| |> Thanx for the feedback and the clarification.
| |>
| |> I tough of "merging" config files, but it's not quite the way I see the
| |> CD I'm creating. I'm booting that cd with CDShell, witch can load
| |> isolinux. I want to make a choice in CDShell of "Insert" or "Damn Small
| |> Linux". That choice would bring the same screen as if the computer was
| |> booted with the respective Live CD. Right now I'm calling CDShell's
| |> implementation of isolinux with the default parameters of those livecd.
| |> But I'd like to have the isolinux screen with the "boot:" prompt, the
| |> live cd's logo, the boot options, etc. I'm limited right now to
just the
| |> default options.
| |>
| |> It seems possible to pass some options to isolinux as of
| |> http://cdshell.org/doc/cmdref.html#isolinux. Even if it says that the
| |> arguments would be interpreted by isolinux as if entered at the "boot:"
| |> prompt, it still seems possible for isolinux to "receive information"
| |> from CDShell or another boot loader booted before isolinux.
| |>
| |> If syslinux relies on a some variables being initialized at load time,
| |> it could relies also on some other variables to get the location of the
| |> configuration files. I don't really understand what you meant by "they
| |> would have to be reset before a new config file can be loaded"... I
| |> didn't meant "load a different config file from an already loaded
| |> isolinux" if this is what you tought I wanted...

| |
| | The two problems are largely equivalent, though.
| |
| |     -hpa
| |
| |
| |

Unsubscribe or set options at:

| Could you explain the final part of that a little more?  I understand
| the idea of replacing the directory name inside the compiled binary,
| but, I can't see how changing it gives you this menu where you can
| select the three different configuration files like this.

Use three configuration files as opposed to menu.c32ing, which gives me
a little less flexibility (i need the ability to add at boot: prompt
custom kernel options)
all i need to do is patch the cloop location (to allow dsl and other
bootcds which use knoppix/knoppix as the cloop to interoperate)

another plus of using independent dirs and config files is no
kernel/initrd conflicts

anywayz, since isolinuxB loads isolinuxC, setting the root menu to load
isoluxB will therefore load isolinuxC

ill show u my point by making a little iso and posting it on my website
(details when im done)