[syslinux] isolinux.cfg location?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 22:39:37 PST 2005

On 12/31/05, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nazo wrote:
> | On 12/30/05, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul at gmail.com> wrote:
> |
> | what i did is:
> | a) reassemble isolinux.asm and change isoliux_dir constant from isolinux
> | to mod123. after compiling i opened isolinux.bin with a hexeditor and
> | did an ascii search for mod123and replaced it with whatever
> | b) ascii search in hexeditor for isolinux (press f3 or Ctrl+G or
> | whatever until you get to ?/boot/isolinux? ? is unknown hex character)
> | and replace with whatever
> | so the result is this:
> | /
> | /boot/whatever_1 <- item 1 menu
> | /boot/whatever_2 <- item 2 menu
> | /boot/whatever_N <- item 3 menu
> | /boot/isolinux <- multi menu
> |
> | and the sweet part is that just add this line:
> | label return
> | kernel /boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
> | to return to main menu
> |
> | tried and true
> |
> | H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> | | Nicolas Bigaouette wrote:
> | |

> just the

> | |
> | | The two problems are largely equivalent, though.
> | |
> | |     -hpa
> | |
> | |
> | |

> | Could you explain the final part of that a little more?  I understand
> | the idea of replacing the directory name inside the compiled binary,
> | but, I can't see how changing it gives you this menu where you can
> | select the three different configuration files like this.
>
> Use three configuration files as opposed to menu.c32ing, which gives me
> a little less flexibility (i need the ability to add at boot: prompt
> custom kernel options)
> all i need to do is patch the cloop location (to allow dsl and other
> bootcds which use knoppix/knoppix as the cloop to interoperate)
>
> another plus of using independent dirs and config files is no
> kernel/initrd conflicts
>
> anywayz, since isolinuxB loads isolinuxC, setting the root menu to load
> isoluxB will therefore load isolinuxC
>
> ill show u my point by making a little iso and posting it on my website
> (details when im done)

Ok, do I understand this correctly?  You are saying that you boot
different isolinux binaries as a kernel, each with a manually specific
folder for the correct configuration files?  If I don't misunderstand,
I suppose you could technically modify the variable, compile, modify
again, compile again, and repeat as necessary until you have a
seperate binary for each seperate folder, but, then again, just
popping it into a hex editor is definitely easier (you might want to
use a longer foldername btw, maybe mod12345.  That way you get the
full 8 digits possible in case of a longer folder name than 6 digits.)

I have to admit that this idea has it's uses.  I normally would prefer
the idea of globbing together everything into one file, but, on
occasion something kind of deserves it's own seperate configuration
(such as when there are a lot of pages of info or I just don't feel
like editing the heck out of everything.)  I'll definitely be among
the first to look at the sample ISO when you post it out of pure
curiosity if nothing else.