[syslinux] PXELinux, chain.c32 and my 3com NIC

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Fri Feb 4 05:16:04 PST 2005

Hello!

I use the latest version (3.0.8pre5) of PXELinux, menu.c32 and chain.c32

Everything worked fine with my test-PC (when WinME was installed on the
hard disk): There is a working menu item for hard disk boot (chain.c32 hd0).

I have deleted the partition table and installed W2k (NTFS): now hard
disk boot no longer works if I use PXELinux. :-(

First I thought that there is something wrong with chain.c32 but I doubt
that because:

- if I replace the 3com NIC with one by Intel (latest IBA), hard disk
boot works
- booting syslinux from floppy with a menu and an item for hard disk
boot works (with the same 3com MBA 4.30 NIC)

So I have replaced my 3com NIC with another 3com NIC to make sure that
this specific NIC is not causing the problem. But it also fails with
another 3com NIC (same model).

Now I am very confused. Is there something else (BIOS settings?) I could
do to make chain.c32 hard disk boot work again with my 3com NIC?

BTW:
the localboot option works, but I would like to understand why PXELinux
and chain.c32 do not.

Alex