[syslinux] Looking for some guidance in creating a new kernel..

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Feb 5 00:34:32 PST 2005

I've been making modifications to the G4l freshmeat/sourceforge
project. Unfortunately, the project person hasn't responded to email,
and doesn't seem to have checked in since 11/18.
The project is a bootable CD image, and it uses the kernel from
kernel.org, and the isolinux. The current setup includes two kernel
files called g4l and g4lold. Only those files and the isolinux file are in
the directory. This works fine for my needs, but another user posted
a message that it doesn't recognize his LSI scsi card.

So, I downloaded the kernel.org file, and went into building the
kernel with extra scsi options, but I've tried about various options in
both building the kernel and files ot copy. All have the system boot
up, but selecting the new kernel gives a message of invalid or
corrupt image.

Are there options that would make this not work with the isolinux.
In building the new images, I have tried setting the P4 options, since
my systems are P4's with the hyperthreading. Other than that, I
selected not to include modual support since, I am assuming it is
setup to have everything built into the kernel, since the lib directory
on the CD is empty.

I've tried using the bzImage file and the vmlinux files, but they have
all come up as invalid.

The last time I did the build, I did the make mrproper to clean out the
old settings, and then make menuconfig, and finally make. This
ends with a message about the bzImage file, and the beginning of
the file looks like the g4l and g4lold images.The difference is that the
built image is like 9.5MB, where the g4l and g4lold images are
2.9MB and 1.4MB.

I though it might be the size of the ramdrive, so I modified it from
32MB to 64MB, but the other kernels still work, and I get the same
error.

I looked for some step by step instructions for the process of
building the kernel for use with isolinux, but haven't found anything.

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  15,503
Processing time:  30 years,  14 days, 12 hours, 37 minutes
(Total Hours: 263,149)