[syslinux] My kernel panics when I add the kickstart line with append - could I get some advice?

Jeff Silverman jsilverman at real.com
Tue Feb 8 15:27:02 PST 2005

I am trying to add a kickstart file to my automatic installation and
make it more automatic.  However, when I comment out the append ks=...
line in the example below, the computer boots properly.  If I uncomment
that line, then I get a kernel panic:

VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 09:02

I don't understand the problem.  I thought that the root file system was
attached with the append initrd=initrd.img directive.  It works if I
comment out the ks line.

## Perform a local boot by default
#default local

# Perform a network boot by default
default network

# Always prompt
prompt 1

# Display the bootup message
display pxeboot.msg

# Boot automatically after 30 seconds in tenths of a second
timeout 300

label local
# On PXELINUX, specifying "LOCALBOOT 0" instead of a "KERNEL" option
means invoking this particular label will cause a local disk boot
instead of booting a kernel.
# The argument 0 means perform a normal boot.
        localboot 0

label network
        kernel vmlinuz
        append initrd=initrd.img
# The kickstart file is /home1/rhel3/test-kickstart.ks on NFS server
192.168.1.1
        append ks=nfs:192.168.1.1:/home1/rhel3/test-kickstart.ks
#       append ksdevice=eth0
        ipappend 1

Many thanks,

Jeff Silverman