[syslinux] Can't get hpa-tftpd working on Slackware 9.1

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Feb 11 16:43:37 PST 2005

Denis Grannell wrote:

>>tftpd-hpa, a trivial file transfer procotocol daemon, is not
>>a bootloader.
>
> Well, you definitely have the forces of right heavily
> on your side there, that's for sure.

Well, but tftp-hpa is specifically on topic for this mailing list, so
it's off base.  However, we do get a lot of off-topic queries to this
mailing list, so since Geert obviously didn't know about that somewhat
peculiar auxillary use of this mailing list, it's an understandable mistake.

Looking at your original email:

tftp    dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd  -s /tftpboot
/usr/local/tftp/sbin/in.tftpd

... your mistake is clearly putting tftpd options after the invocation
to tcpd but before the tftpd filename.

Ditch tcpd, for tftp-hpa it's not needed (nor useful), *especially* if,
as you say, you're on a trusted subnet.