[syslinux] Can't get hpa-tftpd working on Slackware 9.1

Denis Grannell denisg at online.de
Fri Feb 11 17:50:39 PST 2005

> Well, but tftp-hpa is specifically on topic for this mailing list, so
> it's off base.  However, we do get a lot of off-topic queries to this
> mailing list, so since Geert obviously didn't know about that
> somewhat
> peculiar auxillary use of this mailing list, it's an
> understandable mistake.

I didn't understand much of that - it was just too cool for me,
especially 'the peculiar auxillary use of this mailing list' bit.
However for the sake of civility, let's lay it to rest.

> Looking at your original email:
>
> tftp    dgram   udp     wait    nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd  -s /tftpboot
> /usr/local/tftp/sbin/in.tftpd
>
> ... your mistake is clearly putting tftpd options after the
> invocation
> to tcpd but before the tftpd filename.

Now *this* is a reasonable answer. It is something tangible that I can
take a look at - pity you didn't post it earlier, considering that you
must have read the original question.
I didn't invent the syntax that I quoted above, it was cut and copied
from the inetd.conf file that is part of  my Linux distribution, so
don't be too cocky on the clarity thing.
Nonetheless, thanks for the pointer. We'll see if it's right or not.

On the issue of off-topic queries - it should be pardonable to post
a query that is (slightly) off-topic without having people getting
their knickers in a twist because of alleged 'noise'.
Everybody suffers 'noise' every day, it's no big deal.

regards,

Denis Grannell