[syslinux] extlinux to boot linux from the second drive

akozlov at nada.kth.se akozlov at nada.kth.se
Fri Feb 18 04:24:48 PST 2005

> *Geert Stappers* stappers at stappers.nl wrote:
>
> No, that won't work.
>
> What I understand from {sys|ext|iso}linux is that it handles 1
> filesystem very well.
> But you are asking multiple filesystems on multiple disks.
>
> Use a (bloated) bootloader for such purposes.

I see.. But the chainloading is implemented! Can I load a ce/me/nt system
from the second drive then?

/boot/extlinux.conf:

	LABEL lin
 		KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-686-smp

	LABEL win
		KERNEL chain.c32
 		APPEND hd1 1

I'm asking because I appreciate syslinux very much and use it since
early slackware releases, I think. If extlinux were that good I'd avoid
happily other loaders in favor of a fast, compact and reliable one.
I don't mind it is not documented since people are replying anyway.

Thank you,
Alex.