[syslinux] makebootfat: an utility to create bootable USB disks

Andrea Mazzoleni amadvance at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 11:42:15 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:30:24 -0800, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Very useful!  Just as a small warning, USB-FDD *may* not work for you,
> depending on exactly which quirks the BIOS assumes for it.
Do you have more details on these quirks ? I've access at only two
USB-FDD BIOS, and in both of them this format is working.

The only difference than a standard FDD format is only the unusual
value of the number of "hidden"  sectors after the FAT boot sector.
Maybe this can confuse some BIOS.

Anyway, on my understanding this is the most compatible format.

> The other thing is the sentence:
Thanks. I'll fix it.

--
Andrea Mazzoleni
935A 2D3C 5C70 BCD6 CB0C  ED89 7C19 4321 6340 3F6D