[syslinux] Maximum line length of APPEND option in PXELINUX

Gebhardt Thomas gebhardt at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Thu Feb 24 01:18:32 PST 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 19:52, you wrote:

Hi,

> > Is this intentional? What is the maximum length of the APPEND option
> > line?
>
> 255 characters.

Thank you very much for the quick answer!

I can live with that. Just got surprised by the fact that my old pxelinux.0
(vers 2.11?) worked while the new one (vers. 3.0.7) just hangs without
an error message.

The long kernel command line originate from the Knoppix Linux Live CD
(or derived distributions) that (mis?)uses the kernel command line for
system configuration options ("cheat codes"). There is even a Knoppix
2.4 kernel patch that expands the maximum length of the kernel command
line.

Since Knoppix is rather widespread, the problem with the overly large APPEND
line might show up frequently when syslinux 3.x is adopted (Knoppix now uses
syslinux 2.x).

Cheers, Thomas