[syslinux] Mailing list policy question

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Feb 24 12:04:08 PST 2005

Hi all,

While I was gone I thought a bit about the flame war a few weeks ago and
some of the very unpleasant private emails some people decided to send
me as a result, most of them demanding that I solve *their* particular
problem for them.

I wanted to get people's feel for what the policy should be for this
mailing list.  I have so far tried to limit it to the syslinux loader
family plus tftp-hpa, to keep the volume down.  Unfortunately we get
lots of people asking questions about all kinds of boot loading issues,
and sometimes not even that.  Worse, recently we seem to have gotten a
spat of people who keep re-sending the same message over and over until
they get the kind of reply they want.

I'm wondering what the people here -- especially the regulars -- think
about this whole issue.  One option I'm considering is to make the
"syslinux" mailing list a looser scope, and create a separate
"syslinux-devel" mailing list for the hardcore development work.
However, none of this is useful if there is no community to go with it;
and experience has shown that newbies with questions will happily spam
whatever lists they think will give them the answer they want, so having
a users list would only be useful if there will still be people hanging
around and helping the newbies out.