[syslinux] Maximum line length of APPEND option in PXELINUX

Jim Cromie jcromie at divsol.com
Thu Feb 24 13:24:29 PST 2005

Geert Stappers wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:18:32AM +0100, Gebhardt Thomas wrote:
>

>>On Wednesday 23 February 2005 19:52, you wrote:
>>
>>Hi,

>>>255 characters.
>>>

>>Since Knoppix is rather widespread, the problem with the overly large APPEND
>>line might show up frequently when syslinux 3.x is adopted (Knoppix now uses
>>syslinux 2.x).
>>

>I see the warning that you are telling,
>but I'm almost clueless about the impact of the Request For Change.

perhaps its worth pointing out that 255 is a kernel limit - unless
Documentation/i386/boot.txt
is oo-date:

**** THE KERNEL COMMAND LINE

The kernel command line is a null-terminated string up to 255
characters long, plus the final null.

so any error msg from pxelinux is reflecting the fact that you wont
succeed anyway.