[syslinux] Maximum line length of APPEND option in PXELINUX

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Feb 24 14:40:06 PST 2005

Jim Cromie wrote:

> perhaps its worth pointing out that 255 is a kernel limit - unless
> Documentation/i386/boot.txt
> is oo-date:
>
> **** THE KERNEL COMMAND LINE
>
> The kernel command line is a null-terminated string up to 255
> characters long, plus the final null.
>
> so any error msg from pxelinux is reflecting the fact that you wont
> succeed anyway.

Indeed it is.  I seem to remember it being an explicit request on this
mailing list that it didn't fail silently like it had been.

Now, with bootproto 2.02+ it should be possible to extend the limit in
the kernel.  For syslinux 3.xx it should be pretty easy to extend the
limit in syslinux to match; for previous versions of syslinux it would
be much harder.