[syslinux] Mailing list policy question

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri Feb 25 02:05:03 PST 2005

Hi,

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> schrieb am 24.02.05 21:19:18:
> I wanted to get people's feel for what the policy should be for this
> mailing list.  I have so far tried to limit it to the syslinux loader
> family plus tftp-hpa, to keep the volume down.  Unfortunately we get
> lots of people asking questions about all kinds of boot loading issues,
> and sometimes not even that.  Worse, recently we seem to have gotten a
> spat of people who keep re-sending the same message over and over until
> they get the kind of reply they want.
>
> I'm wondering what the people here -- especially the regulars -- think
> about this whole issue.  One option I'm considering is to make the
> "syslinux" mailing list a looser scope, and create a separate
> "syslinux-devel" mailing list for the hardcore development work.
> However, none of this is useful if there is no community to go with it;
> and experience has shown that newbies with questions will happily spam
> whatever lists they think will give them the answer they want, so having
> a users list would only be useful if there will still be people hanging
> around and helping the newbies out.

I think this should not be split up. The mailing list is still low-volume.

The problem is: Some issues are really development specific. Others are general use
of syslinux. Others deal somewhere between tftpd, pxelinux, rom code and kernel/initrd,
and it isn't even clear after the second look which of these parts fail. Others are really
off-topic and deal about making an initrd, compiling a kernel etc.pp.

So creating two lists would tend the newbies to post to *both* lists, since they
don't read the description anyways.  And for others it isn't even clear if this is a development
issue or a general issue about syslinux. Where would you put feature requests? The devel
list ? What if the feature request arises in the general list through a discussion? Things would
be crossposted to the devel list?

Regards,

Josef