[syslinux] simple menu hosed by global append

Jim Cromie jcromie at divsol.com
Fri Feb 25 19:20:22 PST 2005

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> The problem is that you have IMPLICIT 0, but menu.c32 is, actually, an
> implicit invocation.

that fixed it, Thanks.

> The workaround is to instead do this:
> It's ugly, I agree.  I'll have to think about that.

I think a doc-patch to README.menu would prevent it from happening to
anyone else using simple menus.

I did find an actual bug;  a global append messes up the DEFAULT menu.c32,

ie, with this:
APPEND    console=ttyS0,19200n81 root=/dev/hda1
DEFAULT    menu.c32

I got:
PXELINUX 3.07 2005-01-12  Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
No LABEL entries found in configuration file!
and
Feb 26 02:35:32 harpo in.tftpd[8780]: RRQ from 192.168.42.100 filename
menu.c32
Feb 26 02:35:32 harpo in.tftpd[8781]: RRQ from 192.168.42.100 filename
console=ttyS0,19200n81

removing global append causes menu to work, boots to happen.
I also tried an 'append -' immediately after DEFAULT menu.c32,
hoping to supress it, didnt work.

On the general subject of APPENDs, given:

append global-append-val
label foo
# suppress global append value with dash
APPEND -

label bar
append - root=/dev/hda1

since 'append -' erases global-append-val,
could 'append - something' also erase global val, then add  'something'
and then
'append more stuff'  could preserve global-append-val, and add 'more stuff'

only prob w this is back-compat, but this seems an unlikely issue,
since global values are presumably essential, and are thus repeated
(either altered or unaltered) in all labels.

thanks, as ever, for the excellent sw and help.