[syslinux] Syslinux direction

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez gustavo at compunauta.com
Fri Feb 25 21:08:59 PST 2005

El Sábado, 26 de Febrero de 2005 10:13, escribió:
> I just joined this list, though I'm a long-time syslinux user.  I read
> the archives before joining and saw HPA's thread on "syslinux vs
> grub".  As he solicited feedback, I'll give mine here.
>
> I use both syslinux and grub, in somewhat different situations.  I
> appreciate both syslinux's clarity and grub's features.
>
> For machines booting off hard disk, I generally use grub, because when
> problems arise, I want as many features as possible to assist in
> recovery.  Syslinux doesn't, and shouldn't, compare to all that
> command-line crap you can do in grub.  This is less and less important
> these days though because for recovery, I now boot into a live cd, not
> grub.
>
> For network boots, I use pxelinux exclusively.
>
> For CDs, I used to use syslinux always, but I've built more and more
> CDs using GRUB.  The reason has been the menu system.  It's pleasant
> to use the up and down arrows and to be able to edit a boot line.
> It's pretty, mainly in the ease of setting colors, and the box around
> the menu itself.  (Every GRUB-based CD I make though includes a copy
> of memdisk, though :)

Why suse Patches to allow syslinux to handle gfxboot are not welcome?
I use this cause the gfx menu but I wish to know why this Postrcipt-Like
language maded by SuSE is a little bit odd for a lot of people. The patch
allow you to write your own gfxboot menu or use one maded by someone else.
I'm used to presuming my friends the animated penguin boot on my CD-roms, of
course with syslinux, but patched.

Cheers.
--
Gustavo Guillermo Pérez