[syslinux] ethersel.c32 issues

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Sun Feb 27 03:44:16 PST 2005

>> Did you make progress with ethersel.c32?
>> Is there anything I can do to help?
>>

> I've been out of town.  If you could sprinkle some printf's and see why
> it doesn't detect the device that would be interesting.

I have added several printf's to ethersel.c including one after the line
did = pci_readl(a);

I have added
printf("found: DID %08x\n", did);

and I get a lot of lines like
found: DID ffffffff

My conclusion is that it does not detect any PCI devices because
something is wrong with the pciscan function. Maybe ethersel is not
scanning the right addresses.

> Worst case, the BIOS doesn't initialize a bridge that the NIC is behind.
>  That would be very messy to fix.

I am sure there is a way to detect the PCI IDs because etherboot is able
to do it. Maybe we could use some of its code?

Alex