[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.01 released
H. Peter Anvin
hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jan 3 00:43:01 PST 2005
Some people have reported portability problems with SYSLINUX 3.00,
mostly due to the use of HDIO_GETGEO_BIG, which is deprecated;
additionally, the advanced menu system wouldn't build for everyone due
to a spurious reference to %ebp.
This release fixes these things, plus makes the extlinux installer
default to zipdisk geometry (64 heads, 32 sectors) if it can't guess
3.01: Fix some gcc/glibc version portability problems.
3.00: New EXTLINUX for ext2/3, new "simple menu system", major code rewrite
Changes in 3.01:
* EXTLINUX, SYSLINUX: Fix compile errors on some systems.
Changes in 3.00:
* SYSLINUX: Support FAT32 and EDD. As an unfortunate
consequence, LDLINUX.SYS is no longer an ordinary file; it
is block-mapped at install time, which means it can only be
written using the syslinux installers.
* SYSLINUX: Reorganize the source code for the installers;
each one of the installers (dos, win32, unix, mtools) is now
built in its own subdirectory. In particular, "mtools" is
the unprivileged installer which uses mtools; "unix" is the
privileged installer which uses system calls.
* SYSLINUX: Completely rewritten DOS installer in C.
* ALL: "label" statement information is now stored in a
compressed format, which means that a lot more labels are
permitted (500-1000 in a typical configuration, but depends
on the complexity.)
* EXTLINUX: New derivative, which boots from an ext2/ext3
* SYSLINUX: The DOS and Win32 installers can now optionally
write the boot sector to a file instead of the real boot
sector. This is not supported in the Linux installers,
* ALL: New NOESCAPE command, disables the "hold down the Shift
key to display the prompt" behaviour.
* New simple menu system, as an alternative to the advanced
menu system already present. See README.menu for details.
* PXELINUX: Filenames can now be prefixed with an IP address
or DNS name plus :: (e.g. 192.0.2.1::filename or
server.domain.com::filename), which downloads a file from an
alternate TFTP server, or just a :: (e.g. ::filename), which
suppresses the common pathname prefix. See pxelinux.doc.
* SYSLINUX: Add an -m option to the DOS and Win32 installers
to write an MBR and -a to mark the partition SYSLINUX is
being installed on active.
* MEMDISK: Give a way to query the boot loader type while
running MEMDISK; see memdisk/memdisk.doc and
* mkdiskimage: substantially improved mkdiskimage which, among
other things, can now be used to initialize USB keys as
zipdrives; see README.usbkey for more information.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
floppy install network ext2 ext3 pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa at zytor.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
Alternate-site: ibiblio.org /pub/Linux/system/boot/loaders
Platforms: DOS or Linux to install. Linux, perl and nasm 0.98.38 or
later required to build from source.
More information about the Syslinux