[syslinux] Version 3.02 floppy boot hangs.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jan 6 23:37:04 PST 2005

[To the mailing list...]

Merlin wrote:

> HPA> Could you send me a copy of this image?
> Please see attached file.
> Thanks!

Ah, thanks.  That's exactly what I needed.  There is a bug relating to
too large directories in SYSLINUX; I have attached a patch.

Incidentally, why are you using MEMDISK and a disk image from a CD-ROM
when you're using it to boot a kernel?  Why not use ISOLINUX?

Anyway, another workaround is to turn off vfat, this will make the
directory smaller; as long as you have vfat off it should be able to
handle at least 15 files in the root directory.

This is clearly a very serious bug which needs to be fixed.  I'm a bit
torn between trying to get 3.10 out quicker, release a 3.03, or release
a "3.05" (meaning halfway between 3.00 and 3.10 :) which would basically
be 3.10-pre1 plus this patch (plus some more testing, presumably.)

Do people have any opinions?