[syslinux] Version 3.02 floppy boot hangs.

Quinn plattel at tiscali.dk
Fri Jan 7 02:09:29 PST 2005

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> [To the mailing list...]
>
> Merlin wrote:
>

>> HPA> Could you send me a copy of this image?
>> Please see attached file.
>> Thanks!
>

> Ah, thanks.  That's exactly what I needed.  There is a bug relating to
> too large directories in SYSLINUX; I have attached a patch.
>
> Incidentally, why are you using MEMDISK and a disk image from a CD-ROM
> when you're using it to boot a kernel?  Why not use ISOLINUX?
>
> Anyway, another workaround is to turn off vfat, this will make the
> directory smaller; as long as you have vfat off it should be able to
> handle at least 15 files in the root directory.
>
> This is clearly a very serious bug which needs to be fixed.  I'm a bit
> torn between trying to get 3.10 out quicker, release a 3.03, or
> release a "3.05" (meaning halfway between 3.00 and 3.10 :) which would
> basically be 3.10-pre1 plus this patch (plus some more testing,
> presumably.)
>
> Do people have any opinions?

If there are only a couple of bug fixes then I would call it 3.03.  If
there a lot of bug fixes, then 3.05.  If there are also major bugs or
features fixed/added then 3.10.  If there are a lot of new features
added with major bug fixes, then a major version number would probably
need changing, say 4.00?

Quinn