[syslinux] syslinux vs grub

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Jan 8 17:43:44 PST 2005

Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:
>

>>I probably should be more blunt: the above is basically asking to turn
>>syslinux into grub with a somewhat cleaner internal structure.  I must
>>say I question the genuine value, but if that's what people want to
>>do, then syslinux is the wrong product and I should shut the project
>>down.
>

> Whoa, hold on.  I was just mentioning the things for which *I*
> personally find GRUB useful.  (This is what I thought you were
> soliciting.)  There is still a lot of value in an actively-maintained
> SYSLINUX, and lots of things for which SYSLINUX is the superior tool.
> (I mentioned some of those, too.)
>
> I am not sure what kind of response you were expecting.  But if mine
> is really making you consider "shutting the project down", then please
> forget I said anything at all...

Sorry about that, I've been a bit down in the dumps lately, in case it's
not obvious.

What I really mean is I'm still debating whether or not to develop
syslinux further, whether or not I should develop it further but in a
different direction, or take the project to maintenance-only mode.

In particular, I'm starting to seriously questioning the value of some
of the advanced features I have on the drawing board (and in some cases,
partially implemented) when built on top of the syslinux framework.  I
don't want to spend a lot of time building those new features if they
are ultimately useless.

I also think, realistically speaking, that I won't have the time and
energy to develop a new foundation.  I tried that once, with Genesis,
and it quickly mushroomed into the kind of project that I really would
rather not take on without being able to devote some serious full-time
hacking on it.