[syslinux] syslinux vs grub

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 8 17:37:49 PST 2005

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> I probably should be more blunt: the above is basically asking to turn
> syslinux into grub with a somewhat cleaner internal structure.  I must
> say I question the genuine value, but if that's what people want to
> do, then syslinux is the wrong product and I should shut the project
> down.

Whoa, hold on.  I was just mentioning the things for which *I*
personally find GRUB useful.  (This is what I thought you were
soliciting.)  There is still a lot of value in an actively-maintained
SYSLINUX, and lots of things for which SYSLINUX is the superior tool.
(I mentioned some of those, too.)

I am not sure what kind of response you were expecting.  But if mine
is really making you consider "shutting the project down", then please
forget I said anything at all...

 - Pat