[syslinux] More on Problems with PXELinux and ramdisk not loading

Richard Plana RPlana at zicorp.com
Sun Jan 9 15:45:10 PST 2005

I use a simple pxelinux.cfg. I try several variations but they all come up with the same result so I'll send the simplest:

pxelinux.cfg:
default linux
prompt 1
display pxeboot.msg
timeout 300
label linux
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=9216

I've tried it without ramdisk_size= and get the same results.

>From the logs I was looking at, it seems whatever is assigning the address for initrd is searching for free memory from the top of the BIOS-stated memory space but doesn't take into account it's usage. It COULD be a BIOS thing (the BIOS shouldn't be reporting the higher addresses?) or the subsystem responsible for picking the address for initrd to use isn't honoring the "reserved" status of that memory block.

Honestly, these are all just guesses as I'm no hacker.