[syslinux] How to delay before mounting root filesystem

Kharisma Esguerra kharisma.esguerra at eppi.epson.com.ph
Tue Jan 25 05:53:33 PST 2005

Got to minimize (barely) my filesystem and kernel and fit it into
my usb key (256mb)

My kernel was compiles with scsi and usb support built-in. My problem
now is i can't mount my root filesystem when i tried to boot. kernel
somehow takes time before being able to recognize my usb as a
valid scsi device thus displaying

VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01

this is my lilo.conf

boot=/dev/sda
disk=/dev/sda
bios=0x80
default=meema
image=/boot/bzImage
  root=/dev/sda1
  label=meema
  append="ip=off panic=5"
  readonly

Any ideas? really, really need your help.

Kernel 2.6.10 already has the retry-mounting-root-filesystem feature. I
can't
upgrade my kernel coz i have to stick to the distro. Slackware 10 for usb
with kernel 2.4.26 somehow was the retry feature too.

Ma. Kharisma V. Esguerra
System Engineer I
Epson Precision (Philippines), Inc. - Cebu Office
Module 7A, e-Office, Asiatown I.T. Park,
Apas, Cebu City, 6000 Philippines
Tel. Nos. (+63 32) 412-7511 to 13
Fax No. (+63 32) 412-7514