[syslinux] Configuration guide for Syslinux/PXElinux neede.

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Sat Jan 29 09:26:26 PST 2005

Hello!

> 	There are the few points I had no answer:
> 	- how do you tell where is the initrd image? - I found at last that
> pxelinux.0 reads it from the kernel 'append' line, what is far to be obvious.

APPEND initrd=blabla

> 	- how do I tell it to get kernel IP configuration from the initial dhcp
> configuration, i.e. equivalent to 'ip=rom' with mknbi-linux?

see syslinux.doc or http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php
the name of the option is IPAPPEND

> 	- some equivalent to 'vga=extended' on lilo?

I use APPEND VGA=791 for a resolution of 1024x768

> 	- boot menus - nice feature, but how to configure that? few examples?

There are 2 different boot menus. A simple one (menu.c32) and a more
sophisticated one by Murali (see README.menu for examples & details).
Both of them are comboot modules.

> 	- and everything else of how to use this really nice loader.

some interesting things:

you can access files on different TFTP servers with
IP address::filename

Peter is working on an option that loads a new configuration file.

> 	I managed for now to more or less install it and may wait a bit for config
> options/examples. so no need to lose time to reply this letter, but everyone
> will profit if you put some config guide on web.

I have just checked the documentation again: It is up to date but the
website is not. AFAIK the website is maintained by David Weekly, so I
hope he will update it soon.

Cheers
Alex