[syslinux] Can this work?

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Sun Jan 30 17:10:40 PST 2005

Mr Tyrese wrote:
> I would like to develop a system where by I can boot any of the
> machines on my system - and select from a menu what I would like that
> particular client to do. For example, maybe load a bootdisk image from
> a network share, and boot that. Or boot the first partition on the
> local disk.

(I assume that all your PCs have a NIC with a PXE or Etherboot ROM.)

The answer to your question is yes (it is possible).

You need:
- DHCP server
- TFTP server
- pxelinux.0
- menu.c32 for the menu
- memdisk for booting floppy images
- chain.c32 for booting local devices
- sbm.cbt (comboot version of Smart Boot Manager) for booting from a
ATAPI-CDROM

Cheers
Alex