[syslinux] .spl files

Steffen Winterfeldt wfeldt at suse.de
Fri Jul 22 03:19:55 PDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, lyric hartley wrote:

> I am not certain that this is the right place to post this, but maybe
> some kind soul can point me in the right direction if not. And I
> apologize if this is the wrong spot...The reason I posted here is that
> I recall running across a syslinux changlog that said "..added support
> for reading .spl..." files. I want to customize the suse boot up
> splash screens (for a CD install). I have been attacking it from the
> gfxboot and bootsplash side of things...but I believe that the
> [resolution].spl files they supply are one of my final links...I have
> searched and searched but can not seem to find any docs about
> using/creating these archives(?)...so, any advice would be greatly
> appreciated!

*.spl are the kernel graphics.

To make them, do, e.g.:

cfg=/etc/bootsplash/themes/SuSE/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg
# SL < 9.3
splash -s -f $cfg >10240768.spl
# SL >= 9.3
splash -s -c -f $cfg | gzip -9c >10240768.spl

BTW, you can look at the 'mkinitrd' script. It does the same but appends it
to the initrd directly instead of writing it into a separate file.

Steffen