[syslinux] isolinux issue with AOpen DVD writer

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez gustavo at compunauta.com
Fri Jul 29 19:14:34 PDT 2005

El Martes, 26 de Julio de 2005 11:04, nospam27 at bnichols.org escribió:
> I'm having a problem booting Slackware 10.1 boot CD's as well as an
> isolinux image of my own.  The system is a VIA Epia M10000 and the drive
> is an AOpen ISU-8424E CD/DVD writer.  If I use a Toshiba CD-RW/DVD-ROM
> Drive SD-R2612 in place of the AOpen DVD writer, the cd boots fine and
> everything works as expected.
I was having AOpen Hardware and I never can boot properly cause AOpen seems to
go too faster reading, one FIRMWARE upgrade in one CDRW reduce the spin of
the motor, and starts to work, but I still having burn problems with my
bootable discs, I only have now from AOpen 1 Ultra Speed CDRW :P
The Writers go to my neigbour, seems to work writing media discs on WinXP.
:D
> What's the best course for further debugging of this problem?  The only
> thing I notice is the number of sectors shown in debugging output is 5,
> while the argument to mkisofs specifies 4 (apparently it's a problem for
> some BIOS's if the number of sectors is not a multiple of 4, from what
> I've read in the Slackware documentation).  I tried 20 and 22 for the
> -boot-load-size argument to mkisofs with the exact same results.  The
> isolinux-debug.bin file is 11100 bytes long, which tells me it's either 6
> sectors of size 2048, or 22 sectors of size 512. . .  However, it seems
> the thing should just work, since it does for the other CD drive.
>
> Here's the isolinux debugging output:
>
> ISOLINUX 3.09 2005-06-17 Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
> isolinux: Starting up, DL = 9F
> isolinux: Loaded spec packet OK, drive = 9F
> isolinux: Loading main image from LBA = 00000024
> isolinux: Sectors to load = 0005
> isolinux: Loaded boot image, verifying...
> isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...
>
> Boot failed: press a key to retry
>

> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> bryce

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez