[syslinux] pxelinux macappend

Scott Mewett mewett at cisco.com
Wed Jun 8 23:42:18 PDT 2005

Greetings all,

Is there currently any mechanism in pxelinux the would send a mac
address of the pxe booted interface through to the linux kernel much
like ipappend can send the ip address?

Kickstarting a system with multiple interfaces can be troublesome.
ksdevice is helpful but only in some circumstances such as forcing eth0,
but that doesn't always work since probe order changes depending on what
kernel config you have. ksdevice=link is good, however we also have some
systems that have one primary interface on the regular network and one
private interface, both of which would have a link at kickstart time.

What I'm thinking is, if pxelinux was able to pass into the kernel the
mac address of the booting interface, I could modify anaconda to support
something like ksdevice=<macaddress>. Then regardless of the probe
order, or how many interfaces had a link, I would always know which was
the right interface to kickstart with.

Thanks
Scott