[syslinux] etherboot 5.3.14 and pxelinux keyboard problem

Quinn plattel at tiscali.dk
Sun Mar 6 13:17:49 PST 2005

Hello PXE folk,

I mentioned in another thread that I had problems finding an etherboot
that actually works with a 486 and Realtek 8019/NE2000 card.  Etherboot
worked up until v 5.3.5-mc1 with the ne driver but then stopped working
between 5.3.7 to 5.3.13 (anoying since 5.3.7 started supporting
PXELINUX.   But then I downloaded 5.3.14 and it seems to work again with
the ne driver (finally pxelinux support!).

Now it seems I have found a bug in PXELINUX with regards to etherboot.
Up until 2.07 pxelinux was responsive to the keyboard.  From 2.08 and up
the keyboard is locked at the boot prompt when pxelinux is loaded via
etherboot 5.3.14.

I think the following from the NEWS file may have something to do with
it (PXELINUX 2.08):

* PXELINUX: Poll for ARP requests while sitting at the prompt.  This
makes some boot servers a lot less unhappy.

Unfortunately I cannot get any further.  PXELINUX 2.07 and lower seem to
have a problem loading images from the tftp server which I believe is
fixed in the later versions of PXELINUX.

Can anybody confirm this problem?

Quinn