[syslinux] Syslinux 3.07 hangs when using on old system

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Mar 10 11:46:17 PST 2005

alansim wrote:
> When I try to use syslinux 3.07 on older system, such as celeron 333 Mhz,
> BIOS is AMIBIOS. The screen freezes with "Syslinux 3.07 2005-01-12".
> But when I syslinux 3.07 to boot from diskette on the same system, it works,
> I have also tried ISOlinux on a CD, it works too on the same system.
> Then I took the same harddisk (85MB) and put on a newer system, celeron 550
> Mhz, Award Bios, it works.
> The problem seems like syslinux cannot work on harddisk installed on older
> system.
> I have tried serveral other harddisk (2Gb, 8GB etc) too, the same error
> occured on the older system.

There does seem to be some bug in syslinux 3.07 which trips up a bunch
of older systems, unfortunately none that I have.  One of the members of
the mailing list is sending me a motherboard to test out with.  Given
the number of systems that appear affected, this is getting to be a
moderately high priority.