[syslinux] PXELINUX: Screen fills with garbage - Locks up

Jim Cromie jcromie at divsol.com
Fri Mar 11 10:41:45 PST 2005

Brad Goodman wrote:

>I am trying to use PXELinux on a large group of HP DL-140s.
>
>First - I tried it with PXELinux 1.66. ON about 25% of the machines,
>(all identical!) they would get to the "Loading" prompt and then freeze.
>
>I changed to 3.07 - now it goes beyond that, and I seem to get a line or
>two of the periods when loading - but then the entire screen fills with
>blinking, multicolored characters, like VGA text memory is being
>overwritten. The system then freezes there.
>
>I stepped down to version 2.11 (I think) and I get the same results.
>
>Where do I go from here???
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brad Goodman
>Acopia Networks
>bgoodman at  a c o p i a    d o t    c o m

try adding
     CONSOLE 0
to your config.

I used to see screen-junk like youve described, cuz my bios stuck escape
sequences into
the serial line.
I use 8.08pre5 now, and that fixed it.
iirc 3.07 didnt, but that might have been incorrectly done on my part, I
never went back to try it.

In my case, the system booted properly after spewing the garbage,
but the above might let you see whats going wrong.

hth.