[syslinux] Excessive chaining or multiple comboot files

John Zitterkopf zitt.mailist at sub18-175.member.dsl-only.net
Mon Mar 14 18:20:26 PST 2005

Does SysLinux support multiple comboot files in combination with a
bootsector load?

Here's what I'm thinking of doing but cannot seem to find a piece of
software which will allow me to do what I need.

Basically; I need/want to write several small programs which execute before
the OS takes control.

Today; I have a "bootloader" which copies the original bootsector to an
unused location on the hard drive; then puts itself into the exiting
bootsector. This loader is ofcourse limited like any boot sector to
<<512bytes... and I'm have zero space to add needed features.
If this sounds like a virus; it was... I took the stoned virus example and
crippled it so it only infects one HD when executed as a standalone c++
program... after several user prompts and confirmations.

The problem I'm running into is that I need to do some other things BEFORE
the OS loads.

Let's give a couple of hypothetical but real uses.
1) change the chipset registers to "tweak" memory timings. (Overclockers)
2) turn on CPU fans to maximum until the OS finishes loading and can get
accurate control of the hardware monitors.
3) Print CPU / Chipset registers for user information.

I have no space left in my boot loader so I was thinking / hoping that I
could "modify" the SysLinux loader to do these things.... since I assuming
it has a multiple stage loader that allows a "Stage 2" loader to do more
things.

What I was hoping was the following psuedo code:
run memtwk.c32
run maxfans.c32
run printregs.c32
run orginal_bootsector.bs

I've tried looking in the source code... and looking for some examples of
SYSLINUX.CFG files... but can't seem to gain traction on the issue.

So; I turn to the "experts" to see if this is:

1) already available? (doubt it but thought I'd ask)
2) See if this is something that can be added... I'm willing to give it a
shot helping to add this feature... but would need and idea where to start
looking in source code.
3) Open to alternate suggestions.

John

              EE's do it 'til it Hz 8-)
 http://www.zittware.com
Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)These email
permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
repeats.