[syslinux] Excessive chaining or multiple comboot files

John Zitterkopf zitt.mailist at sub18-175.member.dsl-only.net
Mon Mar 14 21:44:13 PST 2005

> > If this sounds like a virus; it was... I took the stoned virus example
and
> > crippled it so it only infects one HD when executed as a standalone c++
> > program... after several user prompts and confirmations.
> >

> You can't realistically ask people to help you write a virus and expect
> help.  The potential reprecussions for people who help you while being
> aware you're writing a virus (even if just a toy one) are just enormous.

I'm not writing a virus!

What I *thought* very clearly said was that I was currently using a virus
example to do some of the things I need. The Virus was "neutered" to prevent
infecting or spreading.

A configurable boot loader which executes some code followed by the original
boot sector is what I need.
If that means that I save a copy of the original Bootloader using a tool;
then so be it.

I do not want anything to do with a virus; I guess I was just trying to give
a history of what I've done for the sake of discussion... not try to give
anyone the impression that it was my goal.

Let me restate;
This "project" has ZERO to do with virus writing... it has everything to do
with flexibility of configuring the system after the bios but before the OS
boots.

Show of hands; how many people find the BIOS doesn't give you the "access"
you desire to the chipset?
My whole goal is to provide a way for the "extreme overclocker" to be able
to write a small program which can set his own chipset the way he wants
based on datasheets / experimentation... without having to rely on a BIOS
writer to provide that capability.

John