[syslinux] Loading Xen with PXELinux

Matt C wago at phlinux.com
Thu Mar 17 21:55:53 PST 2005

Hi All:

I found this old message on the web archives. I've gotten Xen working with
PXELinux, albeit with something of a hack. The basic chain is:

1. pxelinux
2. memdisk
3. FAT16 floppy image
4. grub installed on floppy image
5. xen.gz and vmlinuz on floppy image

While this seems pretty simple, the key bits were to use:

1. FAT16 (not ext2, etc) for the floppy image
2. use the 'raw' flag when booting the floppy with memdisk

I've documented the whole mess here:
http://www.phlinux.com/?doc=7

Hope it helps someone... and thanks for the pxelinux tool, I use it on a
daily basis!

-Matt