[syslinux] PXELinux and serial number

Egon Muller kotz.brocken at gmx.net
Fri Mar 18 14:55:02 PST 2005

This what you looking for is the UUID.

-----Original Message-----
From: syslinux-bounces at zytor.com [mailto:syslinux-bounces at zytor.com] On
Behalf Of Scott Mewett
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 11:41 PM
To: syslinux at zytor.com
Subject: [syslinux] PXELinux and serial number

Anyone have an idea if it would be a huge effort to get pxelinux to look for
config files based on serial number (available in DMI on modern
motherboards), much like we currently can use MAC address's.

Lots of our hardware comes with the serial number stuck on the chassis but
not the mac address. We'd like to move to pxelinux and still use the serial
number as the key for figuring which config is to be used.

For now I can have the system first boot a linux image that probes the
hardware, posts the mac addr and serial number to a database that has the
workload associated with the serial number. The database is then able to
correlate both can trigger the creation of a pxelinux config file named
after the mac addr associated with the serial number.

But it would be nice to be able to do that in one step, rather than two.

Thanks
Scott

Unsubscribe or set options at: