[syslinux] PXELinux and serial number

Scott Mewett mewett at cisco.com
Fri Mar 18 17:27:42 PST 2005

Do you have any info on how I could use that? Or would it really
requiring modifying the pxelinux before I could see it.

I'd like to see what those values currently hold on a system that I know
has the serial number in the BIOS. that way I could see if it solves the
problem or if we have to do further work.

I haven't looked at how the ACPI stuff is layout out but I think it may
be the same.

The spec is here: http://www.dmtf.org/standards/smbios
A great app for querying it is dmidecode available here:
http://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/

I did find this in the spec:
Important Note: As of version 2.3.2 of this specification, the Plug-and-
Play function interface described in this section is being deprecated.
Further use of the interface is discouraged and it will ultimately be
removed from this specification. Future SMBIOS implementations and
SMBIOS data consumers should migrate to using the table-based method
described in Section 2.1 exclusively.

So, I assume this means the the Plug&Play BIOS spec you referred to is
no longer supported.

Since there is only the serial number that we are looking for, being
able to read all the table structures would not be necessary.

What do you think?

Thanks
Scott