[syslinux] PXELinux and serial number

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Mar 18 18:03:28 PST 2005

Scott Mewett wrote:

> Since there is only the serial number that we are looking for, being
> able to read all the table structures would not be necessary.
>
> What do you think?

Doesn't look too bad.  Find the _DMI_ header in the BIOS ROM area, then
it's just a linked list of tables, and the serial number is in table 1.
  Get the index, and scan past the requisite number of nulls, to find
the appropriate string; if there is no _DMI_ header, if table 1 doesn't
exist or is less than 8 bytes long, the string number is zero, or
finding double-null during the scan is an error, meaning no data is
available.

This should be doable.