[syslinux] PXELinux and serial number

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Fri Mar 18 20:30:51 PST 2005

I built an (unreleased, non-oss) identical thing to what you describe
below for internal use here a while back.

It isn't that hard. I would say that you don't even need PXElinux
support to get the serial number. What my system did is boot the system
into a stripped-down Linux that grabbed the system serial number and
applicable hardware config, then registered itself with a master server.
At this point, the master server knows the MAC address and can set up
PXElinux config files based on MAC address.
--
Michael