[syslinux] memdisk and winPE diskless boot

Sasha M trener at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 02:03:55 PST 2005

Hi,

I am working on the diskless booting over Infiniband networks. At the moment
we have created and implemented architecture which allow diskless booting
of Linux nodes on x86, x86_64 and Itanium platforms.

The system works by booting first small custom made Linux kernel of the
Infiniband adapter ROM. The kernel has enough of infiniband stack to setup
TCP/IP networking over infiniband. Then it simulates PXElinux boot process.

After it fetches production kernel image and ramdisk, the system is booted
into that kernel via kexec like mechanism.

So far everything works like a charm. My next goal is to make a Windows
diskless boot. At first, i would like to accomplish this with WinPE or BartPE.
My plan is to use memdisk with the winpe ISO image.

Anyone done something similar ? Have any useful pointers to the windows
boot process ? The lack of documentation compouned with the lack of the
source code drives me nuts :(.

--
Regards, Sasha