[syslinux] A bug about comment lines beginning with a hash mark (#) ?

Steven Shiau steven at nchc.org.tw
Thu Mar 24 21:54:26 PST 2005

Hi,
I just upgraded syslinux to version 3.0.7 from 2.13, but my pxe client
got some warning messages. The pxelinux config file looks like:

default memtest
timeout 70
prompt 1
#---------------------------------
label local
  localboot 0
#---------------------------------
label memtest
  # note! *.bin is specially purpose for syslinux,
  # do NOT use memtest86.bin, use memtest86 instead of memtest86.bin
  kernel memtest86
#---------------------------------
#label 5
#  kernel vmlinuz-pxe
#  append initrd=initrd-pxe.img ramdisk_size=9600  devfs=nomount
#---------------------------------

The comment lines beginning with a hash mark (#) and IMMEDIATELY
FOLLOWED by NON-SPACE character, such as these two comment lines:
#---------------------------------
#label 5

will cause some warning messages in the pxe client. The warning messages
are:
Missing parameter in config file
Unknown keyword in config file

The first warning message (Missing...) is caused by #------------
and the 2nd warning message (Unknown...) is caused by #label 5

However, in syslinux 2.13, my config file works without any warning.
After some tests, I found I have to make the comment lines like
# ----------------
# label 5
i.e. a space is necessary after the hash mark (#).
But I can NOT find any new documentation say I have to do this, the doc here
http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php#config
just say
In the configuration file blank lines and comment lines beginning with a
hash mark (#) are ignored.

Is this a bug or is this a new rule for config file ?
Thanks.

--
Steven Shiau