[syslinux] [ISOLINUX] No boot: prompt with ISOLINUX 3.07

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Sat Mar 26 08:58:26 PST 2005

I found that the version of isolinux.bin (and the debug version too)
doesn't work on my Via C3 system.  I get the SAY text, but never the boot:
prompt.  C-A-Del doesn't reboot either.

The debug version does not print anything after announcing it's opening
the config file.  Only the single SAY text follows.  The cursor sits on
the next blank line, useless (no responses to key presses).  I had one
case where the system rebooted from this point, but I haven't been able
to reproduce the event (may have been my imagination?).

When I replaced the copy of isolinux.bin with the copy that's on the
Knoppix 3.7 CD, then I get the boot: prompt.

I tried a version of the isolinux.cfg with a SAY at the beginning and the
end of the text file, but only the first one was printed.  I don't have
this in the current working version, so I don't know whether not having
both SAYs text printed is a problem with ISOLINUX or my understanding.

	works	10036 Dec 14 16:38 src/syslinux-2.13/isolinux.bin
	not	10080 Dec 30 16:44 src/syslinux-3.00/isolinux.bin
	not	10388 Jan 12 02:57 src/syslinux-3.07/isolinux.bin
	not	10408 Jan 25 00:19 src/syslinux-3.08-pre5/isolinux.bin

I'm willing to try some fixes.

	-Paul
	Glad I'm using a CD-RW.

Bios Id:  R-VIAEPIA-0067