[syslinux] Problems with menu.c32, and some feature request for menu.c32

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Mar 31 07:55:01 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:02:06AM -0500, Eugene Pressley top-quoted:

> Well in those three days I did identify and correct the problem
> with using a number (0-9) as the hot key.
> The following is the section of code in menu.c32 responsible
> for displaying the menu entries:
>
> display_entry(const struct menu_entry *entry, const char *attrib,
> 	      const char *hotattrib, int width)
> {
>   const char *p = entry->displayname;
>
>   while ( width ) {
>     if ( *p ) {
>       if ( *p == '^' ) {
> 	p++;
> /*	if ( *p && (unsigned char)*p == entry->hotkey ) { */
> 	  fputs(hotattrib, stdout);
> 	  putchar(*p++);
> 	  fputs(attrib, stdout);
> 	  width--;
> /*	} */
>       } else {
> 	putchar(*p++);
> 	width--;
>       }
>     } else {
>       putchar(' ');
>       width--;
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> As you can see I have commented out two lines that compse an If statement.
> This was preventing numbers from being displayed as highlighted.
> With this mod, if you use a number as a hot key it is
> properly highlighted on the screen.

I'm not a "menu guy" and _surely not_ a "highlighting in boot loader guy"
But hey, who am I?

Provide an unified diff  (output of `diff -u foobar.c.tarball foobar.c`)
to find out if your change is accepted ...

> Regarding the response from Problem #2:
<snip/>

> Regarding the response from Request #1:
> I understand the need to keep bloat down, but I am unclear how adding
> a visible display of a timer that is already a part of the code would
> add a significant amout of bloat to the code base.

My interrest in syslinux, infact extlinux,
is having a mean & lean bootloader.
My computer are bought to work. As less as possible down-time.
Quick booting is part of the high uptime.
And the computers have no video screen attached, only a serial console.
It is the cursor postitioning and highlighting code over a serial line
that I hate.

> Regarding the response from Request #2:
<snip/>

> Regarding the response from Request #3
<snip/>

> I am in tinkering with the original source,
> as is evidenced by the possible resolution to problem #1,
<snip/>

No time to skip back and forward to the numbered items.

Inline quoting works fine.

Cheers
Geert Stappers